What's What on the Blog

If you love reading, you've (probably) come to the right place.

I post updates on books I'm reading, with detailed reviews, quotes from books I'm reading, book recommendations in the form of "If... then..." statements, tags, book hauls, and wrap-ups/TBRs. So basically I'm a booktuber, but in text format because my face is too dangerous for the internet.


On recommendations: I will occasionally post recommendations in the form of if... then... statements. (Ex: "If you liked The Catcher in the Rye, then you might like The Perks of Being a Wallflower). If you have a book that you like, and you want to find more like it, ask me! I'll try to find something. It doesn't even have to be a book you like. It can be a sport, a hobby, a movie, whatever. Just ask in the comments, and I will be happy to suggest something!

Disclaimer: I won't actually be telling you where to find the books, as I'm sure you're capable of that feat on your own. The title of the Blog is simply a reference to my favorite series of all time, Harry Potter (the reference being a parody of the title "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them").

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

I'm Ba-aack! New Format, Apology, and April TBR

Wow. Well, uh, hi. Hellooooo? Is there anybody out there?

It's been a while.

I don't even have an excuse. I'm just lazy. Also Netflix took over my life and I kind of, uh, stopped reading.


But I'm back now! Woo-hoo!

So, let's get down to business. First, I am changing the format of this blog. Instead of just posting reviews of books, quotes from the books, and recommendations, I'm also going to post tags, book hauls, and wrap-ups/TBRs and other updates, kind of like a booktuber on youtube would do, only you know, not on youtube. 

Now for the good part of this post: my April TBR.

I can't promise I'll read all or any of these, because what I read is pretty much subject to whim, but these are the books I'm planning on reading at the moment:


So I haven't read this book yet. Which is shocking, because fantasy is my favorite genre, and epic fantasy is my favorite subgenre. So I'm going to read it. I'm not sure what more there is to say.


I AM SO EXCITED TO READ THIS BOOK. I've heard nothing but great things about it, and look at all those medals. Pretty sure a book with that many medals can't be too bad. A brief summary (based only on what I read on the back): So these two kids, Aristotle (Ari) and Dante, live completely opposite lives. One (Dante, I think, I'm too lazy to go to the other room and look) loves poetry and writing, and Ari can't write to save his life; Ari has an older brother in prison, Dante... well, doesn't. Etc. etc. etc. They meet, and become friends, and eventually fall in love, both with each other and with themselves. Yeah, it's an LGBT book. I've only read three other LGBT books in the past - Hero by Perry Moore, Ask the Passengers by A.S. King, and Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller - and I think it's a really under-represented genre, so I'm excited to read this. I've read one other book by Saenz, called Last Night I Sang to the Monster, and it was good, but it was super depressing and just didn't really do it for me, so I'm hoping this one will be better.


I'm actually reading this one right now, and it's fantastic. It's about a teenager named Lucky Linderman, and his life kind of sucks. He's constantly bullied at school by this one kid, Nader, and his home life isn't much better. His father is a professional chef and although he can cook a good meal, he's barely home. And his mother spends all her free time at the local pool, swimming laps to cope with her husband's lack of interest. Lucky's grandfather, Harry, was drafted for the Vietnam War, where he disappeared and became MIA. In his dreams, Lucky visits the jungle where his grandfather is being held prisoner and tries to help him escape, but he can never quite manage it. There's an element of magical realism here, too, but I don't want to spoil it. 

Anyway, this book is great. A.S. King is a phenomenal writer, and her use of magical realism just blows me away. I'll post a complete review of this book once I've finished it.


I don't actually know much about this book, but a lot of people have been talking about it and I think the final book in the trilogy comes out this month, so I decided it was about time I read it. Also, look at that cover. It's gorgeous.

So that's the plan. We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment