What's What on the Blog

If you love reading, you've (probably) come to the right place.

I post updates on books I'm reading, with detailed reviews, quotes from books I'm reading, book recommendations in the form of "If... then..." statements, tags, book hauls, and wrap-ups/TBRs. So basically I'm a booktuber, but in text format because my face is too dangerous for the internet.


On recommendations: I will occasionally post recommendations in the form of if... then... statements. (Ex: "If you liked The Catcher in the Rye, then you might like The Perks of Being a Wallflower). If you have a book that you like, and you want to find more like it, ask me! I'll try to find something. It doesn't even have to be a book you like. It can be a sport, a hobby, a movie, whatever. Just ask in the comments, and I will be happy to suggest something!

Disclaimer: I won't actually be telling you where to find the books, as I'm sure you're capable of that feat on your own. The title of the Blog is simply a reference to my favorite series of all time, Harry Potter (the reference being a parody of the title "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them").

Monday, July 14, 2014

Mini Reviews!

This post will be brought to you in three parts: Part one, a mini review on a book. Part two, a mini review on another book. Part three - wait for it - a mini review on a third book! I figured I would try this style for a change, since I'm not the best at writing full reviews and I think most of what needs to be said about these books can be said in a paragraph or two. So without further ado, let's get into it!


How a book about superheroes (or rather, anti-heroes) should be. Fast paced, reads like an action movie. Other than the intense action scenes, though, I found it to be a bit tedious to get through. Lots of dialogue, and I feel as though the whole background for this post-apocalyptic world could have been explained in more detail. All in all, though, it was a solid read. The twist at the end makes it all worth it. I'll definitely be picking up the sequel. 4/5 stars.


It's been a very long time since I've read a book that not only has a compelling story and characters, but prose so amazing that I didn't want it to end. I wanted to keep reading, to stay longer in Patrick Ness's writing and the masterful world he'd created, and I was pretty much heartbroken when it ended. Not because of the ending, but because it had ended. Novels like this are very rare. 5/5 stars, I will recommend this book to anyone and everyone.

Decent story, but I felt that I knew so much about the characters' disabilities and not enough about the characters themselves. That being said, I think (as someone who knows someone with OCD and had a classmate with CP) that the author did a decent job accurately portraying the disabilities, even if it was a bit overbearing at times. If you're considering it, it's definitely worth the read. (Be warned, though, it may be triggering for someone with OCD or something similar). 3/5 stars.

So that's that for this post. Let me know if you've read any of these books, what you thought of them, or if you're planning on reading them in the future!



No comments:

Post a Comment