What's What on the Blog

If you love reading, you've (probably) come to the right place.

I post updates on books I'm reading, with detailed reviews, quotes from books I'm reading, book recommendations in the form of "If... then..." statements, tags, book hauls, and wrap-ups/TBRs. So basically I'm a booktuber, but in text format because my face is too dangerous for the internet.


On recommendations: I will occasionally post recommendations in the form of if... then... statements. (Ex: "If you liked The Catcher in the Rye, then you might like The Perks of Being a Wallflower). If you have a book that you like, and you want to find more like it, ask me! I'll try to find something. It doesn't even have to be a book you like. It can be a sport, a hobby, a movie, whatever. Just ask in the comments, and I will be happy to suggest something!

Disclaimer: I won't actually be telling you where to find the books, as I'm sure you're capable of that feat on your own. The title of the Blog is simply a reference to my favorite series of all time, Harry Potter (the reference being a parody of the title "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them").

Sunday, December 7, 2014

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch


5 stars. Initial reaction: Holy hell, something tells me I'm about to have one major book hangover.

This book was stunning. Stunning in scope, stunning in breadth, stunning in all of those other words that people use to describe a book that is just so gods-damned, all-around, mind-fuckingly brilliant that you need terms of epic proportion to do it justice.

'Scuse the language, I'm still caught up in the elaborate, ensnaring, bottomlessly-detailed world of the city of Camorr.

In quick summary, here's what Scott Lynch did right: He created imperfect characters that were loveable despite their faults. He world-builded (yes, it's a verb now) so hard that my mind just about exploded trying to contain the scope of it. He layered plot upon plot upon plot in such an intricate way that it's impossible to disentangle them, and why would you want to, as they all ended in a singularly thrilling and spectacular climax? And don't even get me started on the plot twists, I'm still trying to process them. The world, the characters, the language, the book were so enthralling that I just... I just can't.

I do have one minor quarrel with this book, though. The "Interlude" chapters, especially towards the end, were bit disruptive to the flow of the narrative, and I feel as though they weren't utilized entirely to their strengths. Hopefully that's something that will improve in future books, because it's a unique feature that I think, if used correctly, can only add to the story.

I am still trying to wrap my head around the spectacular entity that is this book. By all means, please join me in my speechlessly astounded awe.

And holy Crooked Warden do I ship Jean and Locke.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment